Young drivers will race head-to-head with seasoned veterans in 10-race shootout
NEWTON, Iowa (Oct.2 , 2019) – After the purchase of the ARCA Menards Series last year, NASCAR and ARCA worked diligently to develop an exciting new competition framework for 2020 and beyond. The ARCA Menards Series evolution will establish the series as the highest level of professional, grassroots racing designed to preserve both series’ historic short-track lineage stretching back more than 60 years.
The series will incorporate the current ARCA Menards Series as well as NASCAR’s long-standing East and West Series under the ARCA Menards Series banner – adding a new fourth championship that will feature competitors from all three series – the ARCA Menard Series Showdown.
"The ARCA Menards Series Showdown illustrates NASCAR’s laser-focused intent to crown a true national short track champion using ARCA and the East and West divisions as the foundation," said Iowa Speedway President David Hyatt. "We’ve hosted 17 East-West combination races and past winners include Joey Logano, Kyle Busch, Chase Elliott and Cole Custer just to name a few. We want to continue to highlight our up-and-coming stars in the sport while celebrating the perennial stalwarts in each series."
The new series will serve as a home for ‘career’ professional short-track racers as well as young rising stars who aspire to advance to the highest levels of the sport. The ARCA Menards Series will feature four championships in 2020. Here’s how it will work:
- The current K&N Pro Series East and West will move to the ARCA Menards Series, and operate as the ARCA Menards Series East (with an Atlantic coast footprint) and the ARCA Menards Series West (with races in the western states)
- Each will have 6-8 races per season and will continue the heritage of the Pacific Coast Late Model Series / Winston West (1954) and the famed Busch North Series (1987)
- The current ARCA Menards Series will remain the same and will consist of 20 races across the United States
- This is a continuation of the series founded in 1953
- The new ARCA Menards Series Showdown will be a 10-race program within the broader ARCA Menards Series calendar at a variety of venues including Iowa Speedway
- The ARCA Menards Series Iowa 150 will feature competitors from all three series racing against one another
The ARCA Menards Series will be in action on Friday, July 17, 2020. The NTT IndyCar Series will return to The Fastest Short Track on the Planet for the Iowa 300, under the lights, on Saturday, July 18, giving fans a full complement of stock car and open wheel racing during INDYCAR weekend.
About Iowa Speedway
Iowa Speedway, The Fastest Short Track on the Planet, is a state-of-the-art 7/8-mile asphalt paved tri-oval racetrack and motorsports facility located in Newton, Iowa. Our 2020 schedule includes three exciting race weekends: June 12-13 (NASCAR Gander Outdoors Truck Series Iowa 200 and NASCAR Xfinity Series Iowa 250), July 17-18 (ARCA Menards Series Iowa 150 and NTT IndyCar Series Iowa 300) and July 31-August 1 (NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Iowa 150 and NASCAR Xfinity Series U.S. Cellular 250). For tickets, call 1.866.787.8946. To learn more, visit www.IowaSpeedway.com, "like" us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram.